Tuesday 15 December 2009

My earliest musical memory

I often try and cast my mind back to the earliest memory I can remember involving Music.

Time after time I can hear 'Downtown' by Petula Clark. I can remember being only about maybe 4 or 5. I can see the house. It was the first house I can remember, end of a road in the outskirts of a town in Hertfordshire. We definitely lived here during the Queen's Silver Jubilee because I remember the massive street party. ( what ever happened to street parties?)

Obviously Downtown was first released in the 60's. My memories of this song are in the early to mid 1970's. I'm not sure I can remember how I heard it. I vaguely remember a green cassette in an orange opal estate car, the smell of petrol and my dad scraping ice off the windows. Did cars in the mid 70's have cassette decks in them?

Anyway, I'm racking my memory banks for another song and I can't think of anything earlier. I have a vague hint of 'Save all your kisses for me' but I can't even place that. I'm settling on 'Downtown' by Petula Clark as my earliest Musical Memory.



No comments:

Post a Comment