Sunday 20 December 2009

All Saints - The Remix Album mixed by Pete Tong



This CD has an HMV sticker on the back bottom right corner with 'Normally £9.99, sale price £6.99.' I must have hunted this bargain out either in the Colchester HMV but probably the big HMV on Oxford Street. I would put the year at either 1998 or 1999. I wasn't a huge All Saints fan at the time, so I think my girlfriend who became my wife may have had an influence. I started seeing her officially in 1998. I think I've seen a 'Saints and Sinners' CD floating about too. In fact, now I'm thinking about it, I reckon I was in Soho buying dance records from Blackmarket Records and she, the future wife may have gone into HMV and found this.

I've played this today a couple of times. It's got all the big hits as dance remixes and Pete Tong has mixed all the tracks together as a continuous mix. It's a bit cheesy at the start and really only gets going with the Timberland Remix of Lady Marmalade. In the main, the style reminds me of the Speed Garage genre of house I used to like playing. The CD then slowly gets a little harder, but not too hard.

When I first heard this again today, the dubby no vocal bits of this mix CD reminded me of the stuff I used to play when I DJed out. I was playing out every week during this period of my life. The music I liked to play and listen to at home was not the stuff I played in Bars. My own tastes were a lot darker and harder. This speed garage, girly vocal happy non offensive stuff was just what the evening bar punters wanted.

I haven't heard this all the way through for years. It was really nice to hear it again, made me feel quite warm and nostalgic about my life a whole decade ago. Happy times, getting it together with my future wife and still having a laugh every weekend in town. I was still caning it a bit, which was nice.

Seeing as this CD was purchased around the time I started seeing my future wife. I might slip it on again later and see if it magically transports us both back 10 years to before the wedding, kids, responsibility, big house, sensible car, early nights, nappies, no more nights out....... She'll probably just say, turn that shite off, Coronation Street's on...

(as I'm writing this, my 4 year old daughter is playing Bejewelled 2 on my iPhone,  oh how my life has changed)


No comments:

Post a Comment