Friday 18 December 2009

The Avalanches - Since I Left You 2000 ish



Who remembers The Avalanches? I sure they were like a cartoon band before the Gorillaz. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure I remember them going up to receive an award and a couple of real Eskimos or Aborigines went up and collected on their behalf. Anyway I can't actually remember what the band look like or anything. Where were they from, anyone know?

The album itself is pretty cool, couple of stand out tracks 'Since I left You' and 'Frontier Psychiatrist'. The frontier track always makes me smile because my good friend is called 'Dexter' and he actually is 'Criminally Insane'. The video for this track was all over MTV at the time.  The style is like an old school mix tape, it's hard to define the genre, it's definitely dance beats, chilled, cartoony and well produced. If you listen to it a few times you can hear loads of samples from other records.

I reckon I got this CD from MVC in Colchester, there's a Tesco's Metro there now. That was THE music club and video store in town in them days. On listening again it reminds me of moving into my proper house, having a real open fire for the first time and a dodgy pub style Axminster carpet in the living room. The year must have been 2000, my dad said that the carpet was a top quality carpet.  I said he could have it. He declined.


The people who owned the house before us had a massive hairy Irish Wolf Thing Dog, my parents bought us a Dyson and it was amazing how much fur/hair this thing shed into that carpet. We had hair in the Dyson for nearly a year. It put us off having pets. This album also reminds me of planning our Wedding. I was trying to work out what we could save money on so I could get that horrible pub carpet replaced ASAP.

Our wedding pictures have a couple of shots of the Bride getting ready at home and she looks like she's getting ready in a pub...



No comments:

Post a Comment