Thursday 11 February 2010

Last.fm and Blip.fm and CDs and Vinyl Records

Seeing as I'm blogging in the main about the 2nd most important thing in my life I thought I commit my thoughts about Last.fm and Blip.fm to this blog.

As regular readers of this blog will know I have always been and will always be obsessed with music. From my first ever 7 inch single. (Fat Bottomed Girls/Bicycle Race - Queen, given to me by my Uncle Benny to mixing dance MP3s purchased using a Paypal account from Beatport.com on my Macbook using djay. Nearly 30 years or so of musical consumption and counting.

How I access music and the formats have changed so much over the last 30 years. Records and tapes for the first few years, CDs from the mid 80's until now and mp3s and other downloads in the past 5 years.

What I'm really excited about are free streaming sites and services like Last and Blip. I've only been on blip for the last 3 or 4 days and have found the amount of familiar and unfamiliar music on it absolutely astounding. My dj user name is jayman888, have a look at my music feed. I've even connected the Macbook to my proper hifi in my living room and the quality is pretty good.

I'm still in the early stages of using both services but so far I can see that I'd probably use blip.fm when I'm able to interact with the site constantly and I'd use last.fm when I'm working and just need a good mix of background music.

So, I've decided NOT to purchase any formats of music in 2010 and just use these sites for all my music consumption. I already have 1000's of CDs, records, tapes and mp3 taking up various amounts of space in my home, car, office, iphone and ipods. I've spent the last 30 years buying music in one form or another. This year I have decided to stop adding to the clutter...

I still listen to CD's everyday and still dig out vinyl to play on my pro-ject record deck. The quality and depth of the sound cannot be beaten. However, I'm going to have a year off adding to the shelves of CDs in my living room. My back catalogue is ample. A bit like my 'unread' paperbacks pile, but that's another story entirely...

Currently listening to Glenn Hughes – Death Of Me on blip.fm


Thanks to procphil for introducing me to blip.fm

No comments:

Post a Comment