Friday 26 February 2010

I've blown my 'Buy no music this year' promise already

Last night I watched 'Footloose' on Film4. I didn't want to. I had 'Gangster No1' on Bluray sitting by the player but my better half pulled such a face when I told her about the film, I knew me and 'Gangster' would have to wait for another night to be alone.

So, the better half scanned through the channels and 'Footloose' was starting on Film4. I started watching without the help of my iPhone or MacBook and slowly got sucked into it. Kevin Bacon dancing and a thin Chris Penn dancing badly. ( I didn't realise it was Chris Penn when I was a kid.) Anyway, after the really cheesy 'dancing in the warehouse' bit I realised that the tall blond bird was Lori Singer. She was the cello player in 'The Kids from Fame' who couldn't sing for toffee.

The music in Footloose was pretty good but not as good as the music from 'Fame' and then the 'Kids from Fame'. Apart from 'Footloose' and 'Let's Hear it for the Boys' none of the other music from the film evoked any 'musical memories' for me. Both songs reminded me of being in middle school aged about 13 or 14, long corridors and being in the school play 'The Pirates of Penzance'. I also remembered that I preferred Fame at the time and had both the Fame and Kids from Fame soundtracks on tape when I was at school. I know I haven't thrown them away because I don't throw away music but I haven't seen them since I've been an adult. They are probably in a box at my parents house along with my Amstrad computer and lightsabre...

I logged on to Amazon and ordered both CDs for less than a tenner!!! I posted last week about not adding to my overladen CD shelves this year. What can I do? I'm weak and it's too late to change. I am genuinely excited about hearing these 2 great albums again. I only ever heard them on tape so I reckon I'm in for a proper treat. I'll post a blog about it when they arrive.

On last thing. My dad dug out some old VHS home movies the other day and we found a clip of my bedroom, my brother and my first CD player. I had only 2 CD in the entire world then and they were 'Jean Michael Jarre -  Rendevous' and 'Now 7'.

My brother and I had hysterically unbroken voices...

I'll link all the music mentioned in this post, I'm listening to 'Blissed Out' The Beloved whilst writing this.





No comments:

Post a Comment