Wednesday 14 April 2010

Raising more money for Wellchild and helping me stop wasting money on gadgets

For those of you who don't know me and are new to this blog here's some background.

I'm running the London Marathon for the first time on April 25th and I'm raising money for Wellchild Sick Children's Charity. At the time of writing this post I've raised £1320.22 so far. Today I was blown away by a single donation from the Company I work for for £250. I work for an outdoor advertising company called Primesight in London. I've also had loads of donations from my Twitter buddies, family and friends over the last few months and the amount keeps going up. I'm humbled at the generosity of everyone who has sponsored me.

Last week, I noticed on my British Gas bill that I had been refunded £250 because I had been overpaying a direct debit for 12 months. The money had been credited to my 'Bills Account'. My first reaction was to start looking around for a new 'gadget' to waste the money on! Those who follow me on Twitter will remember the tweets about buying an iPad, iPhone projector, Sony eReader, New headphones, blah blah blah. All stuff that I don't actually need really.

I've decided to donate the money to my charity but to make it more fun I've had an idea that involves all of you reading this.

I've decided to take my iPhone with me during my run and will try to tweet, post a few tweetpics and also try and upload a couple of audioboos too. All of these will be seen on my twitter timeline.

What I want you to do is to help me get as many followers as possible. I'll set a minimum follower count target of 5000 by 9pm April 24th. I have over 1800 at the moment. If this target is achieved I will not hand my iPhone over to TNT in my secure kit bag on the morning of the Marathon. I'll take it with me and tweet my run. I've tweeted before when I've been running and I know it can be done. I've also used audioboo when I've been drunk so how hard can it be when I'm running?

You don't have to donate any money, all you have to do is retweet the link to this page and get your friends to follow me. ( If you want to donate you can too at www.justgiving.com/jayman888 )

My twitter name is jayman888 and the short link to this page is http://bit.ly/dxdH8Z

I'll tweet this link a few times everyday in the build up so you can retweet. You can always contact me via twitter where I'll be giving regular updates.

I'll follow everyone back who follows me. It'll be a really awesome experience on Marathon Day and I want to share it with you all and raise some money for my charity too. I'm nervous but really looking forward to it.

Look forward to your support.

Jay also known as jayman888

No comments:

Post a Comment